Labor recognises the invaluable contribution of playwrights and theatrical productions to the cultural landscape of NSW. Playwrights and theatrical productions make a particularly important contribution to the creation of new Australian stories.
Some of the most exciting new productions are being staged in NSW’s smaller theatre spaces.
A Daley Labor Government will invest $15 million to support emerging playwrights and theatrical productions, especially at smaller and independent venues. As part of this investment, Labor will:
- Provide up to $2 million to help Urban Theatre Projects:
- Secure a permanent independent presentation venue and hub; and
- Grow their activity in Sydney’s south west;
- Provide $1.86 million to Belvoir Theatre’s revitalisation plan which includes:
- Expanding their drama education program in Western Sydney and rural and regional NSW;
- Redeveloping the warehouse at 18 Belvoir Street and the theatre at 25 Belvoir Street; and
- Establishing a set construction workshop program;
- Provide Playwriting Australia with a new one-off $100,000 funding grant to foster the work of NSW writers with disabilities, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, First Nations people, LGBTIQ people and people from rural and regional NSW.
A Daley Labor Government will also work toward the establishment of a National Aboriginal Theatre to foster and create First Nation stories. A Daley Labor Government will deliver this important cultural project by working with Elders and indigenous communities; other key stakeholders; and Federal Labor and other states and territories.