Labor will stop developers bypassing local councils
Labor will stop developers bypassing local councils by abolishing the Rezoning Review process.
Labor does not believe proponents of local developments should be able to bypass councils and undermine community decisions reflected in an LEP.
Labor will maintain existing processes to consider proposals which are state or regionally significant. Councils will still be able to submit zoning proposals to the Department of Planning and Environment in line with existing practice.
Labor will strengthen Local Environmental Plans
Labor will give communities greater control over planning and development decisions by strengthening the role of Local Environmental Plans.
- Affirm the role of LEPs as the key planning document for local communities;
- Promote an approach to planning for local communities which considers the whole community, rather than encourgaing a narrow focus on individual sites; and
- Increase certainty for local communities that their LEP will not be altered outside the normal review process.
Labor will require the Greater Sydney Commission to develop a fair plan for new housing supply across Sydney
Labor will direct the Greater Sydney Commission to:
- Undertake an immediate review of the targets for new housing construction in local government areas across Sydney; and
- Examine how population growth can be distributed more fairly across Sydney.