Labor will hire an additional 1,500 new police officers over four years.
This will increase the overall number of police officers in NSW to almost 18,300 officers.
A Daley Labor Government will invest $583 million to hire these 1,500 additional officers.
The addition of 1,500 police officers to the ranks of the NSW Police Force will allow Police to:
- Expand the number of General Duties police available to respond to emergencies and assist members of the community;
- Address the lack of Sergeants currently available to supervise officers and provide leadership during high risk situations;
- Increase the number of Detectives available to investigate serious and complex crimes; and
- Allocate additional officers to address issues including child protection, domestic violence, terrorism and organised crime.
Labor will ensure rural and regional communities in NSW receive their share of officers to address the eight years of neglect under the Liberals and Nationals.
6. There are currently 16,788 police officers in NSW: NSW Police Force Annual Report 2017-18, 31 October 2018, p. 5